What is the name of the box my internet connection comes from?

0 votes
asked Feb 28, 2011 by Zagorath (316 points)
My internet connection comes in through a wire in my wall, and then connects to this box, with my ISP written on it.
From there, I can either connect to a single computer, or connect it to my wireless router to get wireless connectivity, and use the router as a switch for wired connections.

What's that first box called? It's not a router, since that's what the second one is. And it's not a modem, since I have DSL, not dial-up.

2 Answers

+5 votes
answered Feb 28, 2011 by tsilb (47,280 points)
Yep, that's a DSL Modem.

commented Mar 6, 2011 by Zagorath (316 points)
Thanks, I always thought that a Modem was only for Dial-up.
commented Mar 6, 2011 by tsilb (47,280 points)
Technically, a modem is for anything that needs to be modulated and demodulated. For signals that are already digital, I believe the proper term is 'Gateway'.
commented Mar 6, 2011 by Zagorath (316 points)
Ah OK. I thought most DSL was already digital, and therefore didn't need to be modulated.
Thanks for the help!
0 votes
answered Feb 28, 2011 by Patxi (12,610 points)
A modem is not just for Dial up, Is just as tsilb said.
Welcome to Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.