login about faq

To prove you're not a spammer, email newuser.lgqa@gmail.com with the subject "Account Request" to request an account.

My internet connection comes in through a wire in my wall, and then connects to this box, with my ISP written on it. From there, I can either connect to a single computer, or connect it to my wireless router to get wireless connectivity, and use the router as a switch for wired connections.

What's that first box called? It's not a router, since that's what the second one is. And it's not a modem, since I have DSL, not dial-up.

asked Feb 28 '11 at 10:13

Zagorath's gravatar image


Yep, that's a DSL Modem.


answered Feb 28 '11 at 10:17

tsilb's gravatar image


Thanks, I always thought that a Modem was only for Dial-up.

(Mar 06 '11 at 05:19) Zagorath Zagorath's gravatar image

Technically, a modem is for anything that needs to be modulated and demodulated. For signals that are already digital, I believe the proper term is 'Gateway'.

(Mar 06 '11 at 05:47) tsilb tsilb's gravatar image

Ah OK. I thought most DSL was already digital, and therefore didn't need to be modulated. Thanks for the help!

(Mar 06 '11 at 05:50) Zagorath Zagorath's gravatar image

A modem is not just for Dial up, Is just as tsilb said.

answered Feb 28 '11 at 10:47

Patxi's gravatar image


Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Feb 28 '11 at 10:13

Seen: 4,176 times

Last updated: Mar 06 '11 at 05:50