login about faq

To prove you're not a spammer, email newuser.lgqa@gmail.com with the subject "Account Request" to request an account.

My school laptop has a port that is labeled 1394. What is this port used for?? It also shows up in my network connection.

I'll post pictures later.

asked Aug 27 '11 at 18:25

Pizzscn's gravatar image


edited Aug 27 '11 at 18:37

nitrocrime's gravatar image


IEEE 1394 is a high speed I/O made by Apple in 1995. Back then, USB had terribly slow data capacities, and Apple (being the video professionals that they are...or were) decided to manufacture a faster I/O so that things like video could be transferred faster.

You might have heard IEEE 1394 called Firewire (still used today) and/or i.LINK (Sony used this name, because they didn't want to be sued by Apple).

Facts about IEEE 1394

Firewire is mainly used for camcorders. You can fast forward, rewind, play, and pause through the Firewire interfase, but you can't do it though USB (interesting fact). They are commonly on external hard drives as well, and Apple uses FireWire for Target Disk Mode which lets you use an other Mac as a spare hard drive for all intensive purposes.

It comes in three different varieties: 4 pin, 6 pin, and 8 pin.

Data speeds range from 50-800 MB/s (4 pin = 50 MB/s, 6 pin = 400 MB/s, 8 pin = 800 MB/s)

You can daisy chain up to 63 devices

More information about IEEE 1394 can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394

answered Aug 27 '11 at 19:05

catchatyou's gravatar image


edited Aug 27 '11 at 23:36



(Aug 27 '11 at 19:16) Matthew Konnagan Matthew%20Konnagan's gravatar image

You mean IEEE1394 port. It is the firewire port for data and some video camcorders.

answered Aug 27 '11 at 18:30

kevin's gravatar image

kevin ♦♦

It would also depend if it's an a or b port. If the school gave you a Mac it could be either one. If it's a pc then it's probably a firewire 400 (1394a) which is what video cameras use.

(Aug 27 '11 at 19:07) sillymansam sillymansam's gravatar image

it's a PC. It's a small port. ORiginally I thought it was a firewire but then I noticed the 1394 labeling and had no clue what it was.

(Aug 27 '11 at 21:07) Pizzscn Pizzscn's gravatar image

There are a few forms of IEEE 1394/firewire port

(Aug 27 '11 at 21:13) kevin ♦♦ kevin's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Aug 27 '11 at 18:25

Seen: 37,161 times

Last updated: Aug 27 '11 at 23:36