login about faq

To prove you're not a spammer, email newuser.lgqa@gmail.com with the subject "Account Request" to request an account.

I have an older TV without HDMI, are there adapters that will allow me to connect newer devices to it?

asked Oct 27 '12 at 19:22

jhagedon's gravatar image


From the context, may I suggest you need to reword your question, i have seen you say the opposite to this further down, is it the sound system or the TV that does not have HDMI? :3

(Oct 28 '12 at 07:22) Tim Fontana Tim%20Fontana's gravatar image

Is the TV 720p or higher, or is it SD?

does the tv support VGA? if it does, you can get a HDMI to VGA adapter http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Plated-Premium-Adapter/dp/B007SM7O2U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351380878&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+to+vga

the only problem is VGA does not have audio so the HDMI device that you want to use with the TV will have to have other audio outputs.

If the tv does not support HD video then using a HDMI adapter will actually give you worst picture than if you were to just use the component outputs especially if the device outputs a 720p or 1080p signal to the TV and it just scaled that down to the resolution of the display within the TV which often will not have any resampling (thus you will have issues of fine details disappearing entirely instead of being approximated to a lower resolution, eg a light bulb filament becoming a 3 pixels in a triangular pattern rather than being completely ignored because those details get calculated to less than 1 pixel width or hight (9which makes them completely disappear or flicker in and out.

All in all, if your tv is not HD, use component video or some kind of video receiver that can post process the video and resample to your TV's resolution.

PS VGA can be converted passively to component but if the signal is of a higher resolution than the tv, then you will have video issues.

answered Oct 27 '12 at 19:50

Razor512's gravatar image


It is 1080p Sony Plasma. Thank you for the information.

(Oct 27 '12 at 21:01) jhagedon jhagedon's gravatar image

Do you have a component outlet? Component cables are comparable to HDMI cables, however you have more cables to deal with unlike HDMI you just have the one.

answered Oct 27 '12 at 19:58

DJ%20Scooby%20Doo's gravatar image

DJ Scooby Doo

Actually, it is the opposite problem, I need to connect a Bose sound system that does not have HDMI to a TV that does. Any solutions?

(Oct 27 '12 at 21:06) jhagedon jhagedon's gravatar image

Hmm. Other than that, I'd say good ol' RCA cables. Sorry if I'm not much help :/

(Oct 27 '12 at 21:37) DJ Scooby Doo DJ%20Scooby%20Doo's gravatar image

I have basically the same problem you said on one of my tvs the receiver for the sound system is older and does not have HDMI but the TV does so I connect the HDMI cables to the TV and my TV has Optical Audio out so I just use that to connect the stereo.

answered Oct 27 '12 at 23:14

TheTechDude's gravatar image



answered Oct 27 '12 at 20:05

Cameron's gravatar image


It's not the coaxial cable that needs the connection, it's the video and audeo cables. Thanks anyway.

(Oct 27 '12 at 21:04) jhagedon jhagedon's gravatar image

A simple Google search can answer most anything. This forum is for actual people to respond if they have insight or information to share. I appreciate your link, but not your tone.

(Oct 27 '12 at 21:14) jhagedon jhagedon's gravatar image

I apologize if you took this offensively. But, lockergnome.net is more of an opinion-seeking forum rather than "How to ..."

(Oct 27 '12 at 22:00) Cameron Cameron's gravatar image

It's a bit of both really, some times a lot of the stuff on the internet can be vague. Anyway, how do you think the information got on this internet in the first place in this case? People asking how to... It's also likely that there are several different ways. OP was probably looking for opinions on which would be the best way of completing his objective...

(Oct 28 '12 at 07:21) Tim Fontana Tim%20Fontana's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Oct 27 '12 at 19:22

Seen: 1,110 times

Last updated: Oct 28 '12 at 07:22