login about faq

To prove you're not a spammer, email newuser.lgqa@gmail.com with the subject "Account Request" to request an account.

My brother was using my desktop and apparently some of the headphone jack got stuck inside the port It snapped in half, so he has one half and the port the other. Is there anyway I can take off that part? If not, if anyone can give me suggestions for a new motherboard with stereo mix I'd be more than grateful. My computer is an HP Pavilion Elite m9500f.

asked Jan 01 '13 at 13:14

DJ%20Scooby%20Doo's gravatar image

DJ Scooby Doo

closed Jan 01 '13 at 18:26

KevinLockergnome's gravatar image

KevinLockergnome ♦♦

OH! I think I didn't explain that it's the BACK audio port. Not the front audio port.

(Jan 01 '13 at 13:59) DJ Scooby Doo DJ%20Scooby%20Doo's gravatar image

I just bought the ASUS PCI 5.1 Xonar DG thanks to AlphaBootis. Good looking out bro! http://imgur.com/BABTs.png

(Jan 03 '13 at 12:02) DJ Scooby Doo DJ%20Scooby%20Doo's gravatar image

The question has been closed for the following reason "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by KevinLockergnome Jan 01 '13 at 18:26

You can't just use a needlenose to pull it out? You can try to dismantle the jack connector to get to it or just solder a new one on.

Buying a new motherboard for this seems like overkill, i'd just put a new soundcard in, that can be done for a hell of a lot less and with a bit of luck its a nice audio upgrade aswell as onboard audio solutions are never really all that great to begin with.

answered Jan 01 '13 at 13:26

AlphaBootis's gravatar image


edited Jan 01 '13 at 13:28

Hmm, I mean I thought using a needlenose would mess up some of the connector ports inside. Sure, if I get a new soundcard, I need one with stereo mix. Can you suggest one that does have support for stereo mix?

(Jan 01 '13 at 13:34) DJ Scooby Doo DJ%20Scooby%20Doo's gravatar image

Going in with a needlenose might mess things up if done careless but I don't see any immediate danger trying it without forcing anything. You can't use the port anyway at the moment so worst case is that the problem is not solved.

I'm pretty at home in PC audio solutions but i'm not really sure what you mean by Stereo mix. What do you use this for? If you have been using standard on-board sound chip so far any soundcard with the same specifications should be able to do what you always do. These go for well under 40 dollars.

(Jan 01 '13 at 13:41) AlphaBootis AlphaBootis's gravatar image

I'll try the needlenose then.

Stereo mix is basically like recording your computer's sound. I use that when I DJ. I just need one with it. If I don't have one with it, then basically I can't DJ with my desktop anymore. I've been using the same on-board sound chip, and it has stereo mix inside it. I found a good PCI sound card, can you tell me if it looks any good?

ASUS PCI 5.1 Xonar DG: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Channel-Sound-Card-XONAR_DG/dp/B0045JHJSS/ref=pd_sim_e_2

(Jan 01 '13 at 13:49) DJ Scooby Doo DJ%20Scooby%20Doo's gravatar image

That looks like a pretty decent sound card to me. I haven't used it but the internet seems to like it. I also know Asus Xonar external sound solutions are used all the way up to half-way serious music recording even though that a quite a bit higher price range. Anyway, for less than 30 I don't think you can really drop the ball. The function you describe is something i've done on many different computers for different reasons, I think thats something all audio-solutions support and not so much a function displayed on the box. Don't pin me on this though, because i'm not really 100% sure how that works.

(Jan 01 '13 at 14:22) AlphaBootis AlphaBootis's gravatar image

Bonus tip: Should you decide you get the Asus Xonar or any other new sound card, disable the no longer used on-board soundcard in your BIOS. This can save you some pretty decent headaches. :)

(Jan 01 '13 at 14:37) AlphaBootis AlphaBootis's gravatar image

How did it break off? is it broken off flush, or broken inside the jack?

if it is broken off flush you might be able to take a drill and drill a small hole that you can get in there with something to pull it out

if it is compleatly inside you might be able to replace the jack if you can source the right part (look on digikey or mouser) and you are handy with a soldering iron.

answered Jan 01 '13 at 13:19

trueb's gravatar image


Broken inside the jack. Oh man, how hard is it to find the exact part?

(Jan 01 '13 at 13:30) DJ Scooby Doo DJ%20Scooby%20Doo's gravatar image

you will have to see if you can pry off the shielding around the audio connectors, then put the broken piece off using a pin. If the shielding is soldered in place then just get a new sound card (use that as a reason to upgrade and get better sound)

with onboard audio, the RF shielding is vital and has to be a complete seal or it will ruin your SNR

answered Jan 01 '13 at 16:31

Razor512's gravatar image


Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or __italic__
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: Jan 01 '13 at 13:14

Seen: 1,359 times

Last updated: Jan 03 '13 at 12:03